Car Accident Back and Spinal Cord Injuries
In addition to other types of trauma, car accidents can lead to back and spinal cord injuries. The most serious of these are considered catastrophic, as they often cause permanent disability or paralysis. Injuries to the spine and back may also be accompanied by significant pain that requires medical attention. Common back and spinal cord injuries in car accidents include:
- Fractures: A spinal fracture can involve any part of the vertebrae, usually caused by a sudden, strong force.
- Compression fractures: Compression fractures occur when a vertebra collapses due to direct pressure or trauma.
- Herniated discs: A herniated disc occurs when a disc between two vertebrae shifts out of place, causing pain and nerve damage.
- Spinal cord injuries: Trauma to the spinal cord is among the most severe types of injury resulting from a car accident. They can include bruising, swelling, or complete tearing of the spinal cord, which may lead to paralysis. Treatment for back and spinal cord injuries may include surgery, physical therapy, medications, braces or other assistive devices such as walkers or wheelchairs. In many instances, lifetime assistance is required for the injured party.
- Whiplash: Cervical strain or sprain is one of the most common injuries that result from a car accident. It occurs when the head and neck are suddenly forced backward and forward, damaging the soft tissues in the neck. Treatment may involve rest, physical therapy, medications, or wearing a collar to support your head and neck.
- Sprains and strains: Strains and sprains involve overstretching or tearing the muscles, ligaments, and tendons in the back and spine. Treatment typically involves rest, ice and heat therapy, physical therapy, and over-the-counter pain medications.These injuries can be life-altering, resulting in long-term disability and pain.
- Nerve damage: Damage to the nerves in the back and spine can cause pain, numbness, or weakness in various parts of the body. Treatment depends on the severity of the damage and can include medications, physical therapy, surgery, or injections.
Contacting an Injury Lawyer
You may be entitled to compensation when an injury occurs due to someone else’s negligence. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help recover the monetary damages you deserve. Because injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, you owe nothing unless you’ve won your case.
Considerations When Hiring an Attorney to Represent You
Personal injury lawyers are skilled at evaluating the facts of a car accident case and helping clients secure fair settlements or awards in court. They are knowledgeable about the law and have experience negotiating with insurance companies. Many have specialized practices to ensure clients get the best results possible.
When hiring a lawyer, it is important to consider their expertise, experience and commitment to clients. Ideally, you should select a lawyer who has success obtaining satisfactory outcomes for injury victims in similar cases as your own.
Your lawyer should be up-front about the process and realistic expectations. In addition, it is also important to ensure your lawyer understands the circumstances that led to your injury, including the details of how you were injured and any potential legal issues associated with it.
Roeser Law Firm: Auto Accident Lawyers
After an accident, Roeser Law Firm can assist you if you have been seriously injured and are facing medical bills and other losses. We can be reached at (202) 660-4070 for a free review of your case if you have questions and can let you know how you can recover the compensation you deserve. Please feel free to contact us online as well.