Because a commercial vehicle is so much larger and heavier than a passenger vehicle, the people in the passenger vehicle sustain catastrophic injuries.
Truck accident injury cases are just one type of traffic accident. There are many types of car accidents in Washington DC and Maryland. Head-on crashes, rollover accidents, and T-bone wrecks are just a few of the types of accidents that could cause you injuries.
All types of car crashes have the ability to be catastrophic. However, accidents involving commercial trucks can be especially devastating. Truck accident injury cases often involve catastrophic injuries, permanent impairments, and wrongful deaths.
Five things about truck accident injury cases you need to know are:
1. Commercial Truck Accidents Are More Harmful to Other Motorists
A pedestrian, bicyclist, motorist, or passenger in another vehicle can sustain a traumatic truck accident injury. According to NHTSA reports for large truck accidents, about three-fourths of the injuries and deaths in large truck accidents are victims outside of the truck.
One reason for the difference is that the commercial truck protects its occupants better than a passenger vehicle. Passenger vehicles will always be the “loser” in a truck versus car accident.
2. Truck Crashes Involve Catastrophic Injuries
Because a commercial vehicle is so much larger and heavier than a passenger vehicle, the people in the passenger vehicle sustain catastrophic injuries. Common injuries caused by truck accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries and skull fractures
- Loss of limbs and amputations
- Severe burns, disfigurement and scarring
- Multiple fractures and broken bones
- Crushing injuries
- Damage to internal organs
- Paralysis and spinal cord injuries
- Neck and back injuries, including broken vertebrae
- Vision and hearing loss
Many truck accident victims face a lifetime of medical and personal care because of their injuries.
3. Multiple People Could be Liable for a Large Truck Crash
Truck drivers are often at fault for large truck accidents. Negligence can include distracted driving, speeding, drowsy driving, drunk driving, and reckless driving. However, other parties could be liable for a truck accident injury.
The trucking company, maintenance companies, truck manufacturers, and shippers could share liability for a truck accident claim. Our Washington DC truck accident lawyers thoroughly investigate the crash to identify all parties who might be liable for your damages. By doing so, we increase the chance you can receive full compensation for all injuries.
4. Damages Can Be Substantial for a Large Truck Accident Injury
Because of the high likelihood of catastrophic injuries and permanent impairments from a large truck crash, the damages for a truck accident injury are usually substantial. Damages that may be included in a truck accident claim include:
- Cost of diagnosis of and medical treatment of injuries
- Loss of income and benefit, including decreases in earning potential
- Cost of personal care and in-home care
- Pain and injury damages, including mental trauma, physical discomfort, and emotional distress
- Scarring, permanent impairment, disfigurement, and disabilities
- Loss of enjoyment of life and decrease in quality of life
Damages in a case involving permanent impairment could reach millions of dollars over a person’s lifetime. A truck accident attorney in Washington DC can document damage and accurately value the claim.
5. You Need an Experienced Washington DC Truck Accident Injury Lawyer to Handle Your Case
Truck accident cases are incredibly complicated. Large insurance companies and trucking companies aggressively investigate and fight truck injury claims. You need to hire a law firm with the experience, skills, resources, and knowledge required to handle a massive truck accident case.
Our lawyers have extensive experience handling truck accident cases. We know the necessary steps to protect evidence from being destroyed and how to use the federal trucking regulations and rules for our benefit. We have amassed a variety of resources and experts that we can access to help build a strong case in favor of maximum compensation for your injuries and damages.
Call a Washington DC Truck Accident Attorney for a Free Case Review
Contact our office to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Washington personal injury attorney.