When the injured party is facing permanent or long-term disability, the assistance of a seasoned attorney is needed. The legal advocate will be able to calculate the compensation that is needed to cover financial costs that extend into the future.
Hiring an Auto Accident Lawyer
Being in an accident is bad enough. You face traumatic injuries that can change your life going forward. On top of that, you have to pay for medical expenses and endure lost wages. If you did not cause the accident and a negligent person or entity did, you are literally paying for their mistake. That is when the question arises about whether you need an auto accident lawyer. Let’s delve into the reasons why you may.
You Need to Be Compensated for Your Damages
Granted, in Washington, D.C., you are covered by your PIP insurance, and you do not need to assign fault after an auto accident. For many people, their own insurer covers the damages, and there is no problem with obtaining adequate compensation. But, what happens when you need to recover additional damages despite your no-fault policy limit being reached? That is where a car accident lawyer can help.
Can a Roeser Auto Accident Lawyer Help Me Go Outside of My No-Fault Insurance?
Yes. There are times when an injured party is able to go outside of their no-fault policy and file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party. The reasons that enable this transition are listed below:
- Significant scarring that is permanent
- Permanent impairment
- An impairment that exists for six months or more
Insurers do everything they can to keep their money. Even if you have a valid claim, many insurance companies will try not to pay. So, how they do this is:
- Make a low-ball offer: The insurance company can take advantage of the client’s misfortune and offer an amount that will not cover the injured party’s expenses. Early on, the extent of the injury and its subsequent, necessary treatment is often unknown, putting the injured party in a precarious position. On one hand, being out of work due to their injuries makes it financially difficult. On the other, the cost of the injury accident might be much more than the insurer is offering to compensate. Added to this, many injuries do not show up for days or weeks after the accident, making a conclusive evaluation impossible. Remember, once a settlement agreement is accepted, there is no going back. This means that additional costs will be borne by the injured party alone. Before accepting the offer, it is best to consult with your auto accident lawyer.
- Argue the extent of the injury: The insurance company may argue that you have inflated the seriousness of the injury and dispute the claim. Counter this evasive technique with medical proof of injury. That is why it is important to see a medical professional as early as possible after your accident.
- Blame the injury on a previous accident: On occasion, the injured individual may have a history of prior injury in the same body area and the insurer will say their pain is caused by it. Your personal injury lawyer will dispute this, using medical expert testimony.
- Incomplete/late paperwork: Insurance companies have a strict time limit for filing a claim. If you file the paperwork late, they may refuse to pay for your damages. An injury attorney will file all documents properly and in a timely manner.
Long-Term Care or Permanent Disability
When the injured party is facing permanent or long-term disability, the assistance of a seasoned attorney is needed. The legal advocate will be able to calculate the compensation that is needed to cover financial costs that extend into the future. Miscalculation can be devastating and force the individual into incurring a greater monetary loss.
In addition, permanent or long-term impairment means that the individual will qualify for an exemption, making it possible to go outside the PIP plan and file a personal injury claim, which includes pain and suffering. Your injury attorney will assist in obtaining the compensation you deserve and, if the negligence was egregious, file for punitive damages.
It stands to reason that more serious injuries require higher compensation. Many require extensive medical care and long hospitalization along with rehabilitation. These costs often exceed the injured individual’s policy limit, making it necessary to file a auto accident lawsuit based on an exemption. Having an aggressive lawyer who will fight for your rights helps ensure a successful resolution to your case.
Roeser Law Firm in Washington, D.C.
Speak to a Roeser auto accident lawyer by calling (202) 660-4070 to schedule a free case review or contact us online. We will examine your case and give you the options you have available to you. The Roeser Law Firm has been helping district residents and those in the surrounding area obtain the compensation they deserve. Don’t wait to reach out to us. Our compassionate, experienced attorneys are available to help you prevent financial damages due to a negligent entity.