Auto accidents involving area buses around the D.C. metropolitan area can be devastating for those involved. These types of accidents often involve multiple passengers, pedestrians and other vehicles. In addition to physical injuries, victims may also suffer from emotional trauma and financial loss. If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident involving public transportation in the Washington D.C. area, it is important to seek legal representation from an experienced car accident lawyer.
Area Buses as a Cause of Auto Accidents
Accidents involving public transportation can occur in various forms. The most common types of public transportation accidents include Metrobuses and D.C. Circulators. The Washington, D.C. area has 1,595 buses in its fleet and covers 1,500 miles around Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia. In 2017, the buses made an average of 390,000 trips per weekday. With their large size and heavy weight, auto accidents involving buses can result in catastrophic injuries for everyone involved. In Washington, D.C., the claim must be filed within three years, which is the statute of limitations. In addition to Metrobuses and D.C. Circulators, the following types of buses may be the cause of a car collision:
- Charters: Tourists often use charter buses to visit the area.
- Sightseeing: The Washington, D.C. area is popular for visitors to take sightseeing buses to see the local sites.
- Shuttle buses: These buses operate in airports and as hotel transportation.
- School buses: Used to transport area youngsters.
- Commuter buses: Government employees who live in outlying areas often use a group commuter bus to get to and from work.
Causes of Public Transportation Accidents Involving Buses
Various factors can contribute to a car accident involving public transportation. Some common causes include:
- Driver negligence: Just like any other vehicle, public transportation vehicles are operated by drivers who can make mistakes. This can include distracted driving, speeding, and failure to follow traffic laws.
- Vehicle malfunctions: Public transportation vehicles require regular maintenance to ensure their safe operation. If a vehicle is not properly maintained, malfunctions such as brake failure or engine problems can contribute to an accident.
- Poor road conditions: Inclement weather, potholes and other hazardous road conditions can also increase the risk of buses causing auto accidents.
Legal Options for Injury Victims
By hiring an experienced traffic accident lawyer in Washington, D.C., victims can ensure their rights are protected and that the lawyer will work hard to help them receive the compensation they deserve for their injuries. A skilled lawyer will thoroughly investigate the accident, gather evidence, and negotiate with insurance companies on behalf of the victim. They will also advocate for their client in court to secure a fair settlement if necessary.
Roeser Law Firm PLLC: Auto Accidents
The Roeser Law Firm PLLC can help you if you have been injured in an accident and are facing high medical bills. Get in touch with us by calling (202) 660-4070 or submitting an online form for a free case review. You deserve compensation for the injuries you suffered in your accident. If you’re injured in an accident, you shouldn’t have to pay for your own medical care if a negligent driver was the cause, and we can help.